Thursday, May 1, 2008

Open Listenings 2

In having explored the various forms of musical analysis for this song, I found that listening to it was a very different experience. Not only could I appreciate the sounds for themselves, but I could really feel and relate to the lyrics in a way that I wasn't able to before. While listening, I found myself remembering times when I have been in a situation of unreturned love, and I found myself persuaded by the song to look at them positively. I also found myself picturing the people who I know would be there for me in the way the singer describes.

I also picked up on a few things I hadn't noticed before, like the intensity in the singer's voice during the last repeat of the chorus, so much more than it ever was before. And, although I had been aware of the hard panning of the various elements, I found myself able to put them together and listen in a total field manner, rather than merely two dimensional. It heightened the emotion conveyed by the piece.

I also, for the first time, thought about how heavily electronic the song is, and yet when one might think that would detract from a song of this type, it rather heightens the effect, because it allows the artist to open up certain areas of the frequency spectrum with more control and accuracy than can be achieved with acoustic instruments. Conversely, it allows the artist to fill up a larger part of the frequency spectrum, and with more control and accuracy than can be achieved with acoustic instruments. It makes for a wonderful package.

No comments: