Thursday, May 1, 2008

Meta-Critique

First, I'd like to note that I dislike the heading for this section of the analysis. The use of "Meta" seems entirely appropriate, as it is used in the context of "beyond." That is most definitely what this section is supposed to do--to go beyond the critique. But that's the problem I have right there: the word "Critique." It implies that in performing an eclectic analysis, I am in some way passing judgment on the work; that I am deciding if it is a good or bad piece. I suppose in some way I do pass judgment on the work throughout my analysis, but since the intention of the eclectic analysis, or at least in the elements inspired by Husserl, is to bracket out preconceived ideas and notions about the work, it feels entirely wrong to call the analysis a critique. It is an analysis. Of course, it is not an analysis in the normal, conventional sense of an analysis, but it is an analysis, and most certainly not a critique. Therefore, the heading for this section, in my opinion, should be "Meta-Analysis," or something else to that effect.

But on to the actual point of this section.


The present analysis is an attempt to get at the heart of the piece by attacking it from all directions, and to provide the analyst with a more comprehensive appreciation of the work at all levels. While I most certainly feel that this happened, it is possible that I got myself stuck into the mindset for the piece that the composers had when writing it. While I feel this is important to do at some point, since the text was carefully chosen by them to express their intentions, it is possible that there are radically different ways to interpret the song that I may not have noticed. It is also possible that more referential elements could have emerged with more research.

However, it does feel that each level of analysis was carefully attended to, so the fact that the mindset that I may have gotten stuck in held up to all levels should attest to its possible accuracy. At the very least, a large amount of data was generated regarding this song, which could assist another analyst in their work should they try to analyze the same song.

No comments: